Tuesday 21 April 2009

On the campaign trail...

For the first time, in a long time, I’m watching an episode of The Biggest Loser and not feeling guilty. Why? Because in the past two days I’ve put in over 10.5 hours of pavement pounding…

Mum’s running for local government (again), so it’s up to Dad and I – the only mugs still living at home – to help letter box drop her electoral ward. And if trudging up and down grassy knolls, dodging spiders, cobwebs and barking dogs, wasn’t enough, she’s making us wear ultra-identifiable lilac cotton bibs. Chic. No?

Add to that intermittent rainfall and you’ve got yourself a pretty tough workout.

Of course, it’s all worth it. While we have at least another two days of hard slog ahead – and one VERY long day come the election on May 2 – the positive comments we’re hearing from people as we walk past their homes reaffirms just how proud I am of my Mumma.

I couldn’t think of anything worse than being a councillor (politics is just not my thing) but she really loves serving her community and it’s clear from the comments that a lot of people are truly thankful for the hard work she’s put in. Regardless of the long hours, and despite the relentless phone calls from constituents, Mumma never tires of helping others. I admire her strength and her backbone. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself up for nomination, and even more to follow through with candidacy. I’m sure I’m not that brave… so I guess I should just put up with the lilac and keep smiling. After all, over the years Mumma’s done a lot more than that for me!

1 comment:

Erica Bartle (nee Holburn) said...

Best of luck to your mummy! How inspiring. Now I know where you get your passion/drive/zeal from! x