Thursday 18 June 2009

Gainfully employed

How nice it is to come home from work each day tired. I love it. And while my physical fatigue is most certainly due to wearing four-inch heels for eleven hours a day for the first time in months, it's the mental workout that makes the pain worth it.

Being part of a team. Having tasks to complete. My own desk. Phone line. Email.

But... I have jumped across mastheads: now I'm contracting with the Ad Sales team of large publishing company. I like it. The pace is fast. Deadlines are adhered to. Yep, I think I might have found a mag genre that suits. Business is good.

And the pay is certainly better.

Like all good jobs, I was referred by a friend. A phone call, a meeting and voila! I wish I could give hope to young strugglers out there, but the sad mag truth is, it's all who you know. So get to know people. Do work experience. Ask friends for favours. Now is not the time to be meek and mild. Be eager, hardworking, but above all, humble. You catch more bees with honey!

For now I'll keep the specifics a little hush-hush. Because it's all still new. And because I'm tired.

4 comments:

Usha said...

Congratulations on the new job!! don't bee too tired to blog :)

Sash said...

Congratulations!! I love your blog... and I can't wait to hear the details. Are you writing, or just on the 'other' side?

the assistant said...

Yep, I'm working for the dark side... no writing in this gig. But who knows what the future holds. And... I'll always have blogging!

frockandrollonline.com said...

Hooray, congratulations! :) That's fantastic!