Tuesday 26 May 2009

The carbon footprint of my travelling pants

About six months ago I purchased a pair of 18th Amendment jeans off eBay. I was living in London, the seller in Sydney. I paid about £20 for them (plus postage) and they were sent via airmail.

Two months ago I moved home to Sydney. My jeans came with me.

And a week ago I listed said-jeans back on eBay. I had yet to wear them – along with a handful of other previously-thought-MUST-have items – so I thought best cut my losses and recoup much needed funds. Bidding on my jeans closed this morning. They sold for $41.50 (plus postage). Their buyer lives in London.

I haven’t yet seen Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (or indeed the film’s sequel), but I immediately had flashes of Blake Lively donning my old Amendments; and then I thought about the greenhouse effect. Suddenly my penchant for impulse spending didn’t seem so funny.

I know that my jeans won’t be the only things boarding a jumbo back to London Heathrow but I do feel slightly guilty about the ease with which I choose to import – and export – items of clothing. Not simply because I should be more conscious about supporting local designers, which is really important, but because every delivery van, every aircraft, every postman’s motorbike leaves a mark – and carbon pollution is so last season.

1 comment:

Sash said...

I buy stuff on ebay all the time, or at least I used to, never wear them, then sell them for money.. and I've never once thought about the impact of it! At least you've thought about it now.