Wednesday 20 May 2009

Seriously?

Yesterday I posted an ad on Gumtree. Freelancing is all well and good, but I need some REAL moola to start feeling a tad more independent (and to buy stuff… I really like buying stuff). So I decided to get back to basics and offer my services as a babysitter once more.

Not long after posting I received an email from Blackunicorn90 asking me to specify how much I ask per hour. Thinking nothing of it I replied: “A flat rate of $15…” and went on to gush how I’d be happy to sit a few nights a week, including both Friday and Saturday nights. I was pumped. Paid work at last!

I waited, but got no reply email came through. Then last night – while at a friend’s place for dinner – my phone rang. It was a blocked number so I thought it was my Boy calling from the depths of Thailand. No. It was David. David was replying to my ad – was it only babysitting work I was after? Hmmm… “What other work were you thinking of, David?”

David was after a companion for the weekends. Gross! Shocked at first, I simply declined the offer, ended the call, and then relayed the conversation to my giggling girlfriend. While I was disturbed, she found the whole thing hilarious.

To add further insult, this morning I received yet another email. This time from Steve9181, a ‘new’ photographer interested in finding ladies to practice on: “in various styles depending on what [I’m] comfortable with.”

Geez, Steve. How nice of you!

What’s wrong with these people? My ad was very clear. I want to babysit not proffer my services to sad-and-lonelies. One more dirty email or phone call and I’m taking the ad down. Obviously the recession hasn’t hit the perves of the world.

1 comment:

Sash said...

At least you can find a smile in the situation! I hope you find work soon x