Thursday 24 July 2008

Doing too much

I like to think that I strive when pushed to the limit. And that I’m quite adept at juggling tasks and managing the unmanageable. Since I was all of twelve and jogging weekday mornings with my dad I have drawn strength from the mantra, ‘The Body doesn’t stop until the Brain tells it to’ – until last week.

Last week I was told to slow down by the two people in my life that I really listen to… Suru and Daniel, my Pilates instructors.

For just over two months I’ve embraced my hour-and-a-half lunch breaks and headed to the gym – 45 minute interval training on the cross trainer or treadmill and a spin class every now and then – on top of my three weekly Beautcamp sessions. I’ve been telling myself that 4 hours sleep is perfectly reasonable, as long as it’s regular, and that catching up with friends at lunch would be a waste of otherwise productive exercise time. I’ve not been counting calories (seriously over that since my session with Mr Hypnosis back in March), I’ve just been super active – like the Energiser bunny on Guarana. And I thought everything was going well.

Except while my brain was telling me all systems were ‘Go!’ my body was getting tired. And the Powers That Be noticed. Last Wednesday I scored a one-on-one session with Suru when no one else showed for our 6am class… Having a personal session meant he could work me as hard as he wanted – as hard as I usually want to work – but my muscles were so knackered from Tuesday’s session and my further lunchtime run that I could barely hold plank position without every muscle shaking. In his softly spoken way Suru suggested I drop my workouts down to only four hours a week… In a state of hubris, I scoffed.

Fast forward to Friday when it was Daniel’s turn to beat my Beautcamp butt and softly spoken was out the window. Daniel flat out told me I’d ‘Lost it’. I was gutted. He told me to take a week off and come back to him… it’s been six days.

So in place of the gym at lunch I’ve caught up with friends and taken advantage of intermittent London sunshine. And while I sneakily booked into Suru’s Tuesday and Wednesday’s classes (nothing beats waking up to Beautcamp in the mornings) I have definitely focussed on getting at least six hours sleep every night and have thoroughly enjoyed having energy enough to read a few chapters of my book each night.

Now I think I’m ready for the true test… Daniel’s class tomorrow – 7am. But just to be sure my energy levels are prime; I’m going to stock up with a big bowl of pasta tonight!

No comments: