Thursday 17 July 2008

Windows Shopping

No it's not a misspell. It's my new favourite pastime. Online retail therapy that doesn't cost a penny.

Even with a regular paycheque I'm still far from able to spend willy-nilly - the desire to pay off my parental debt is too strong - but shopping is in this girl's DNA, so with enthusiasm, I've evolved.

I've long been a lover of online boutiques like Asos.com, Topshop.co.uk and more recently Allsaints.co.uk. From the safety of my desk I scroll through their aisles of clothes, sort by colour, size and style and avoid unflattering change room mirrors. And within 48 hours my new wardrobe is delivered to my work (care of our post room) for colleagues and myself to ooh and ahh over.

Such efficiency can get expensive. But with Windows shopping - the online equivalent of taking a stroll down the high street and trying without buying - you follow all the same steps: pick and choose and move coveted items to your shopping cart and tally up the postal fees... It's just that when it comes to click 'Buy', instead you click on 'X' - do not pass Go, do not spend £200!

You still get the buzz from a real spend, there's just no buyer's remorse and better yet, no explanations need to be made for the presence of yet another new item in your cupboard.

However, this little game - while providing hours of entertainment - is not exactly foolproof. There have been times when the desire to spend is just too strong and with a trigger-click of my finger I have become the (proud) new owner of a pair of Gladiator Suede Fringe Sandals or a replica Miu Miu handbag, but I argue that these times are few and far between. And, these purchases are always put on Debit - because Credit and the Net, a happy pair do not make.

So get clicking!

2 comments:

Erica Bartle (nee Holburn) said...

I'm so glad you're back and blogging. Sometimes I feel we occupy the same headspace – I've been planning a girlie weekend away with my three best friends from high school this week to commemorate our 10-year 'Schoolies' reunion (yep, we're going to the Gold Coast!) and I recently penned a story for Cleo all about shopping - and the lure of online.

According to a Wee Birdy (weebirdy.com) you are to attend a baby shower soon that she's hosting. I'm so glad you get to meet - we've become very good bloggy buddies!

In other news, did you know Jess is heading back to NYC in August?

Keep up the good writing!
x

Janice Lois said...
This comment has been removed by the author.