Thursday 31 July 2008

Take me on a trip...

The best thing about earning pounds is being able to save (spend) them. At the moment I’m saving to pay off (a wee bit of) debt, buy a new (designer) handbag for my birthday – only 28 more sleeps! – and (finally) go on a few holidays. First stop Marrakech.

In the second week of September a girlfriend and I are taking advantage of a Lastminute.com deal and heading to the ‘Red City’. Like Patsy and Edina before us - think Ab Fabs’ Morocco episode circa 1994 – we’ll set up camp in a Riad, inhale our hookahs and bathe in the North African sun.

October will see Boyfriend and I spend a weekend in Paris. He’s une vierge de Paris so I’m very excited about showing him all my favourite places. I’ve even managed to score the same (tiny yet beautiful) whitewashed studio apartment where girlfriend and I spent two sun-filled weeks last August… Deep in the heart of Le Marais we’ll enjoy the treats of the Old Jewish Quarter, sip aperitifs at the cafes along Rue de Rivoli and hire bicycles to get us to – and from – all the tourist hotspots.

Before long Christmas will be upon us and we’ll be enjoying a week with my parentals in Portorosa, on the Italian border of Slovenia. Even though temperatures will likely be sub-zero the four of us will bundle ourselves into dad’s hire car and drive 298 miles to spend three nights in Dubrovnik… Why? Because I want us to.

And just yesterday, an overly excited phone call to Miss Daisy (remember Ode to Daisy) sparked an idea for a week-long girl’s escape to Majorca in early February…



But the biggest and best plan is Boyfriend and my 29-day trip from Istanbul to Cairo. Leaving on Valentines Day we will brave yet another group holiday – so far we’ve survived a month’s camping in Canada and a two week road trip from New York to Miami – through Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Egypt. We’ll wander the ruins of ancient cities, devour questionable delicacies and bargain our way through bustling bazaars. May the camels not be too stinky and the terrorists take leave…

It’s such a wondrous feeling to have money again!

No comments: