Thursday 30 August 2007

Sweet Enough?

I think most girls would agree that it's nice to have a little sweetness in your life. Like many women I struggle with my weight, and chastise myself about the foods I indulge in. My guy friends think I'm crazy, and my girlfriends call me stupid... but the truth is they all have the same insecurities... although, I suppose that it's better they tell me not to be silly, than confirm my fears and tell me to put the chocolate bar down!

It's always interesting when you live or travel with other girls - but getting to know their game plan when it comes to food can be both helpful, and harmful. My new flatmate is stunning. Tall and lean, totally lovely and super active - her game plan: sugar substitutes. You name it, it's in the cupboard or fridge... diet jelly, diet fruit juices, sugar free ice blocks. And, if I'm honest, it does work for her, but not for me. I tried the sweet'n'low thing for a few years and found that it just made me snack more. Now I limit my sugar intake to occasional dark chocolate treats, and have found that my taste buds are less hyper, and I can go a whole day without craving a sugar sensation.

My recent sojourn to Paris saw me living with a girlfriend for two weeks. Having been besties through school I knew she had always been mindful about what she ate. Travelling together made me realise the intensity of her resolve. Her game plan: portion control. Be it sunflower seeds with a teaspoon of honey, or treating herself to some dark chocolate, my girlfriend fit her sweets into a macchiato cup, so that she knew she wouldn't binge.

My new motto for the sweet stuff is to keep it real. Ultimately all the preservatives in sugar substitutes can't be good for you, and while sugar contains no real nutritional value it is a concentrated form of energy, and in moderation it can be just the boost you need.





2 comments:

Erica Bartle (nee Holburn) said...

Love this post - aren't women's eating habits just fascinating? The latest issue of Russh contains an article about sugar being harmful to your skin (click on the image on my recent blog post). Sugar sure cops it in the health/beauty department.

I've weaned myself off a serious lolly addiction over the past two years - once apon a time, not a day would go by without me noshing on a cup of mixed lollies (in the office, there are always lollies around but I would go out at lunch time and purchase said cup of lollies from a corner store for an afternoon snack!). What eventually turned me off was the sugar lows - they made me moody and tired beyond belief. I now opt for the natural sugars - honey, fruits, dried fruits, in small portions.

I'm afraid Jess probably gets her portion control habit from her big sister! I find taking containers of my favourite foods to work is great for snacking (no need for the vending machine!) and ensures you don't overindulge at lunch.

With regards to your recent post about drinking levels in the UK – if girls are worried about their weight, alcohol is the best place to start cutting back, as the sugar content's quite high (admittedly, not the most sociable option!)

Erica
http://girlwithasatchel.blogspot.com

C. said...

I'm definitely loving this topic. I think sugar substitutes are the worst and completely unhealthy regardless of claims. Regular sugar in moderation is fine in my opinion. But if you are ever looking for a good plant-based sugar substitute, look into stevia. This is good stuff. It's from derived from Peruvian sweet leaf plant if I'm not mistaken. I've tried it and it's great, and up until today there are no known side effects and is much healthier than sugar. Check it out! :-)