Monday 13 August 2007

Say 'Buy' to Yesterday, and Farewell Old Paris

I have a little 'thing' about vintage clothing... I just don't like it that much. The tops sit funny, and the pants are always too high in the waist and baggy in the legs. And the sizing, what's with the sizing? Buying vintage always makes me feel obliged to stop eating for the day and run a mile to work off breakfast! I know, I know, by those in the know, it is deemed 'oh-so-hip.' But, if you're anything like me, the nostalgia of yester-year brings tears to your eyes, because of the dust, and gives you 1970s polyester-pandemonium nightmares. I prefer retail shops without the moths and sales baskets, where the clothes are neatly hung and even (heaven help me) arranged by colour... In saying all this, a trip to Paris just wouldn't be the same without checking out the new with the old... and the Marais, according to New York magazine, is among the three best districts to go delving (see also: the Palais Royale and Left Bank).

In the last two weeks - haven't we been spoilt - Jess and I have wandered in and out of stores-of-styles-past, but our favourite would have to be the one just a hop, skip and a jump from our apartment, Free 'P' Star Bretonnerie (8 rue Sainte Croix de la Bretonnerie, 75004 Paris). We entered it by chance on one of our post-dinner strolls and were blown away by the hoards of people (mostly tourists... eek!) siphoning through the racks, and racks of dresses, shirts, leather jackets, army gear and bags... boy did they have some bags. Yet, this scene didn't disgust me. Somehow, being in Paris, I found this chaos acceptable, even attractive. It might have also had something to do with my reading of a recent WhoWhatWearDaily.com post (if you don't subscribe already, you really should), that had Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen espousing the prodigiousness of Paris vintage. Hey, if it's good enough for M.K. it's good enough for me!

The cutest thing about this store is the spiral staircase leading downstairs to a room full of summer dresses (it seems they restock as per the season). Then there's the presence of a ladder up to a floor devoted entirely to bags... Can we squeal, "woo hoo"?!
So, Jess bought a bag (5 euros), and a belt (3 euro), and I bit my tongue and bought a gorgeous brown leather satchel for 5 euros... I'd have been stupid to resist it.

Feast your eyes on these babies...


And if you're in the area: check out Coiffeur on Rue des Rosiers, 75004 Paris

And with that, I say, "Adieu Paris, a bientôt!"

No comments: