Friday 30 January 2009

Me and Su

My glutes are pinching. Triceps pulsating. Laughing causes ripples through my obliques. I’m three weeks into my personal training Thursdays with Suru and after each session I feel just as broken as the last – in a good way!

As one who likes to be pushed to her fitness limits – except when it comes to static lunges while holding dumbbells or playground antics like sprint tests – I thrive with one-on-one trainings. And with my return to Sydney imminent I’ve been upping the ante: adding a PT session to my three Beautcamp Pilates classes each week has enabled me to drop a little of the December-bulge I managed to gain around my hips and thighs, but it’s the adrenalin that really gets me.

No matter how physically exhausted I am after a class or session, mentally I could run marathons. And suddenly that croissant or chocolate bar doesn’t hold the same allure…

Chatting to a girlfriend who had recently taken up her own Bikram Challenge we discussed how expensive keeping fit is these days, especially given the current economic climate. Ironically while credit is being crunched, more and more people are cancelling their gym memberships. Yet those same people are still patrons of the pubs on Fridays and continue to buy up big in the ongoing retail sales.

But surely if you’re going to spend money on anything, your health should be up there as a top priority? Personal training sessions might be costly, but they’re far more effective when it comes to achieving your fitness goals and losing those extra pounds.

While I’m going to miss the friends I’ve made in London, through the wonders of email and Facebook and phone lines I know we’ll all keep in touch; but I’m truly gutted about saying farewell to Beautcamp and my trainer. Suru’s classes are dynamic and his encouraging and softly spoken personal training style ensures that while I always break a sweat, huff and puff and stagger out aching, I’m able to leave with a smile on my face… Endorphins pumping!

For those in the London area who want to visit Brick Lane for something other than a curry, check out Me&Su for a free fitness assessment.

Me&Su Fitness
The Old Truman Brewery
91 Brick Lane
London E1 6QL

5 comments:

RJA said...

I enjoy reading your blog and know what the bittersweetness of what it feels like to leave London to travel home. I miss my Beautcamp sessions now that I am back in the US. I still haven't quite found a similar workout routine that challenges me physically and mentally like an hour on the reformer! Good luck with your travels and leaving London.

the assistant said...

Thanks for reading! Which studio did you attend when you lived in London? I hear Beautcamp Pilates is wanting to franchise overseas... not sure if I'm up for THAT challenge though :)

RJA said...

Oh goodness..are you serious-I was just trying to tell my boyfriend that we should open a Beautcamp in NY-American thighs are due for a good shakedown! Do you think I should e-mail the owner of Beautcamp London? I attended the Westbourne Studios studio...now located in Bayswater. Stay warm and enjoy the white snow in Londontown.

the assistant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Assistant :o),

Thank you for posting such positive words about Beautcamp Pilates on your great blog.

However, spam robots have been harvesting our Managing Director's e-mail address from your blog.

Therefore, please remove her e-mail address from your blog.

We're in touch with RJA regarding the possibility of her being awarded the New York franchise.

Equally, if you want to be your own boss, and earn a very good income, and most importantly, receive FREE Beautcamp classes FOR EVER :o), feel free to contact me about you being awarded the Sydney franchise.

WIth thanks and best wishes,



Michael
Franchise Manager
Beautcamp Pilates Ltd

http://www.fastfitness.me