Friday 7 September 2007

Gotta Love a List

Nothing pleases me more than putting pen to paper. Actually, taping keys on a keypad does it for me too... I just love words. And lists. You gotta love a list. My favourite type of lists are the ones that note down my future fashion fixes - shopping list 101.

Looking around the mag office I'm amazed by the varied array of fashion styles. Natmags is no Devil Wears Prada, Elias-Clark. You don't have to wear heels, and you're not scolded for scoffing a brownie - but there are some women there who just have it when it comes to dressing, and I am secretly taking note. While I won't be buying their designer-labelled versions, I am jotting down their colour and fabric combinations and taking mental snaps of their accessories so as to be on the lookout when next I visit Portobello Markets, or my beloved Topshop. The fashion team at Harper's simply exudes effortless-style, and boy do those girls love to shop!

Peering over my desk I jealously covet their lunchtime purchases - new Rock and Republic jeans, a gorgeous leather handbag from Miu Miu's new Fall/Winter range, and a designer jacket fresh from their tailor, that perfectly contours their fashionista-frame. If I one day own half the couture these girls do, I will be a happy chappy. But that's the beauty of a list... noting down the clothes you want to buy makes you feel like you're actively contributing to your ultimate fashion transformation. You might not buy every item in the draw, but you're creating a place to start.

Regardless of the lack of a formal dress code, there hasn't been a morning this week that I haven't gone into mini panic mode as I exit the bathroom en route to my wardrobe. My mind races with possible outfit options - like Cher's revolving wardrobe in Clueless, wouldn't you just love one of those in your bedroom? - and as I scour my rack of tops, dresses and slacks, I think back to my wish list, and try to recreate the dream from the clothes of my closet reality.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey "intern"

I came across your blog by accident - I don't have much interest in fasion etc - but the way you write cracks me up its brilliant!

Keep it coming!

Dylan