Monday 17 September 2007

Ping Pong's great, but it ain't no Yum Cha

About a month ago, I enjoyed a giggle when I signed onto my beloved Facebook and saw that I had been invited to join the group, 'I wish Yum Cha trolleys would circulate through my place of work' - which to-date enjoys 2,207 members. Yum Cha takes the Chinese-dining experience a step further by circulating ready-to-eat, tasty morsels around the restaurant thus honing the art of up-sell, ensuring happy (and stuffed) customers. Dim sum (those yummy steamed, and sometimes fried, parcels of all-things veg or meaty) are definitely the cat's pyjamas in my book, but that may be because when it comes to eating out I have managed to convince myself that if it's bite sized, food has no calories.

So setting out on Saturday night for the South Bank's hip dim sum joint, Ping Pong, with a group of friends I was ready for a good meal. With several locations over London (including in ultra-funky Soho), Ping Pong has done for dim sum, what Wagamama's did for the noodle, and they have an impressive cocktail menu to match. Although I have to say, the experience just isn't the same without those Yum Cha dollys and their trolleys.

At Ping Pong it's all about style. The impressive decor includes floor-to-ceiling windows and lots of mirrors, round tables downstairs and low couch seating upstairs, complete with mood lighting. The staff were friendly enough - although one poor waiter dropped a tray of sugary cocktails over a girl in our party which did dampen the evening somewhat. Funny how it's at these moments you can recognise who in a group has worked tables before - I shuddered as I recalled spilling the contents of a diet coke bottle into a customer's bag of Prada goodies during my time back in New York... he had handled it very well... although, if you can afford Prada, I'd imagine you're unlikely to sweat a dry cleaning bill. Our girl mopped herself off with humour and grace, and the waiter made himself scarce for the rest of the evening.
As for the food, the dishes were delightful. Fresh Asian greens, and succulent seafood with just the right about of sugar and spice, although the cocktails were a bit on the icey-side of full. If you do choose to Pong while you're in town definitely try their Honey Barbecued Pork Steamed Buns, and their Spinach and Beef Gyoza, served with ginger sauce... yum!


Ping Pong, South Bank
Festival Terrace, Southbank Centre
Belvedere Road
London SE1 8XX
tel: 020 79604160
open: Mon - Wed 12pm to 12pm/Thur - Sat 12pm to 1am/Sun 12pm to 10.30pm

dim sum dishes from 3 pounds
cocktails from 5.50




No comments: