Monday 3 September 2007

Overgrounds and Undergrounds and places in between

I used to be the person who was always on time. I'd diligently arrive five minutes early so as to ensure my intended meeting party was never left waiting. Over the years I perfected the art of standing idly. Having never been a smoker (such a great way to bide time and not look like a loner, but of course, oh so bad for your health), I instead practiced a nonchalant wall-lean or constructed text messages on my mobile that I would never send - because to send them all would have cost a fortune! Often I was left loitering nearly an hour in anticipation of friends who did not share my penchant for punctuality. Sad little me decided enough was enough about three years back, and since then, I'm notorious for running late. Only ten or so minutes, but invariably, I just never quite get to the ball on time.

It might have something to do with the fact that I have a nasty little habit of scheduling a million meetings into just one day, but I find that I'm happiest when I have a lot of things to look forward to - and it's only a problem when I overbook. Saturday past was a rare example of when the worlds (or in this case, the trains) aligned to get me everywhere I needed to go, and on time! While I went to bed knackered, my day of travel and socializing was one of my favourite in London to date.

9.30am: Leave my flat in Clapham Junction heading south for the gorgeous borough of Richmond. Full of beautiful Royal parks, historic houses, and cobblestone streets lined with cafes and boutiques, Richmond is definitely the place to indulge in a weekend brunch. And brunch I did, with a few friends commiserating the farewell of one who is on her way back to the land of Oz.

1pm: Pay the check and kiss-kiss Tiff goodbye to make my way via the overground train up north to West Hampstead for drinks and nibblies with two Kiwi girlies... Just a few stops away is Hampstead Heath, 791 acres of lush woodland only four miles from the centre of London. It is home to more than 25 ponds and boasts at its southern tip an open air swimming pool - although I don't that has been used much this summer!


4.15pm: Make a move for the underground this time, ready to whisk me to Covent Garden - a district known for its great shopping and street performers. Arriving at just past 5 o'clock the crowds were insane, buskers trying their darnedest to make a pound or two off the hoards of tourists. There I met with a Northerner friend who was visiting London for the weekend with some of her friends, to see the Broadway production of Dirty Dancing. We enjoyed a pub dinner (the early-bird theatre special) at nearby Leicester Square, and then they were off to the show, and I made my way back to the tube, bound for home.

8pm: After making a quick stop at the off-licence to grab some milk, I climbed the stairs of my flat and congratulated myself on a day well choreographed. Sometimes, you just get lucky I suppose!

No comments: