Tuesday 18 September 2007

London's Fashion

Fashion Week has finally hit London, so I suppose it makes sense that I devote a posting to current clothing trends... I'd like to think of myself as abreast of fashion - one look inside my overflowing wardrobe and it is clear that I have a penchant for retail therapy - but putting my own ideas down as gospel, I think not. Instead, I turned to October's issue of Harper's Bazaar, just to confirm if my thoughts were in line with my mag's fashionistas... and I'm pleased to say, a few of them were:

Here's the London-lowdown: 10 style updates to keep up with trends

10. The biker jacket
Okay, so I've tried a few styles of leather jackets on in the past few months... I went with a mushroom-coloured version from H&M, according to HB you can throw these babies over last season's shift dresses to funk up your outfit.


£150.00 Leather Crop Biker Jacket by Kate Moss (topshop.com)

9. The structured tote
This is where I can gloat a little... I've been ahead of this trend for a few years now (ahhh!). I purchased my current fave from a street vendor in NYC for $35 - and without fail, every time I take it out for a spin people comment, even guys! HB suggests investing in a classic shape and colour (did I tell you mine was black?), and 'it will look forever chic.'

£735.00 Balenciaga Large Bag (asos.com)


8. The cape coat
Not quite sure about the practicality of this one. I can imagine there will be a few of us who buy one if these for winter and end up storing it further to the back of our cupboards so as to avoid the constant reminder of being a financially-crippled slave to fashion. But... if we must, HB advises that we keep our hair and make-up modern to avoid looking like we're in costume.

£50.00 Black military style belted cape with 3/4 sleeves (dorothyperkins.com)

7. Colourful patent courts
Yay, yay, yay - I was chatting about this one just yesterday... Although it's hard to miss these bright and shinnies in the shop windows of Office, Aldo and Topshop. HB recommends teaming them with a midi-length skirt for maximum leg-lengthening effect.

£55.00 High Perspex Heeled Court Shoe (topshop.com)

6. The pencil skirt
If you wanna look ultra sexy and downright bootylicious, definitely take on this trend. I found the ultimate but-lifting style on topshop.com (ruched bum pencil skirt in black, £30) - wear a high-waisted version with a fitted shirt in the same colour for the ultimate figure enhancement.

£30.00 Satin Ruched Bum Pencil Skirt (topshop.com)

5. Black ankle boots
As far as footwear is concerned, boot is best. But for those of us not blessed with luscious long legs, team them with black opaque tights to elongate, and add a short, flirty skirt to ensure a feminine look.

£30.00 Brogued Lace Front Ankle Boot (asos.com)

4. The statement white shirt
Nothing beats a crisp white shirt. The look is classic, and comfortable, and after last seasons smocks and shapeless shifts it's time to embrace fine lines and tailoring. HB suggests updating your look by sewing on contrasting black or gold buttons to the cuffs, and the Intern advises her budget conscious friends to check out The Gap's new Classics range...

£20.00 Ruffle pintuck shirt (gap.com)

3. The waist-cinching belt
Now, I've bought a fair few of these over the past couple of seasons, and wear them sparingly... after all, there's nothing worse than feeling like you're wearing a girdle, but HB assures us that structured versions, 'make a woman's body look the best it can (by) pulling in the stomach and improving posture.'

£12.00 Gold diamante waist belt (dorothyperkins.com)

2. Wide-leg trousers
Ahhhh, I love it when you invest in a trend that sticks. In the summer of 2005, I splurged on a pair of black Zimmerman wide-leg trousers (to the tune of a few hundred dollars)... at the time I thought myself mad, but they have seen me through. My tip, spend a wee bit more - they will most likely have a better shape and this style is all about wearing a good quality, tailored fabric.

£235.00 Tibi Black wool high-waisted wide-leg pants with a pleated front (net-a-porter.com)

1. The oversize clutch
According to HB this item will be the statement piece for the season (as they say, 'the bag du jour'). And it's practical too... finally, a clutch that actually fits your money, phone, make-up and keys!

£365.00 Stella McCartney Black patent finish fabric concertina clutch with zipper detailing on front (net-a-porter.com)




No comments: