Tuesday 27 November 2007

All for Organic

Today I met with a girl from work for a good-ol’ cup of Fair Trade Organic coffee. I’m all for organic, when it won’t completely break my budget. Because as much as I like to think that my body is a temple, I am aware that my holy-rear is rounder than my bank balance.

Back at the office I thought I’d check out a bit more about this organic craze – you know, just to confirm in my mind why I paid three quid for a coffee. I was interested to find out that because of the intensive processing methods of all types of tea, coffee and cocoa (non-organic ones as well), “it is highly unusual for any pesticides to be present in [any] end product” (according to www.aboutorganics.co.uk) … So, sorry, why should I go organic?


Apparently organic foods are grown using sustainable farming practices (so, no deforestation), and for those who go further to produce Fair Trade foods and beverages, this ensures that the workers on the plantations enjoy good working conditions free from exploitation.

To be honest, £3 for coffee is fairly average on Carnaby Street so if given the chance I’ll go Fair Trade Organic if it’s available, and I guess that’s what we as consumers should do – every little bit helps. For those of you energised from your organic-caffeine hit and ready to take on the world, check out www.FairTradeCertified.org.




No comments: