Thursday 24 April 2008

Show me the Proof

A mini milestone was reached today... I received my first Harper's BAZAAR proof copy to sign off on. In all its two-page, A3-sized glory I was handed 1st proofs from subs upon which I was to give my tick of approval.

It was all very exciting. But more exciting was seeing my name in print. Admittedly it's only a gutter line credit - they be the vertical ones hidden in the page's fold - but it's 'words by...' my name within the pages of one of the UK's top women's magazines. You can be sure that I'll be sending copies back home to the fam...

So I dutifully poured through every line, making sure no facts had been changed in the subbing process, cross-checking prices for products and basically getting drunk on 'words by me'!

I know (read: hope) the time will come when I'm signing off proofs on a daily basis, when my name will have pride of place further up the masthead and when I'll be contributing features as opposed to mere snippets of copy but until that time I kinda like this feeling of excitement. I know I've earned it.

No comments: