Monday 21 April 2008

Weekend Delights

I think I just had the perfect weekend. Now I know that I’ve been slummin’ it lately, hotels and spa treatments and such, but this weekend past I stayed in the city… and loved it!

It started with a chop. Yes, I (well, my hairdresser actually…) cut off my almost waist length hair, died it chocolate and scrunched it up. Enough of Miss Neat, it’s all about the tousled mane this summer.

After this hair-liberation I travelled south to see The Boy. And while most men would opt for a girlfriend with long and luscious hair, mine was more than happy to see my new-do. It seems being smothered by my tresses as he sleeps had finally lost its appeal. He even suggested taking me out for wine and a cheese plate to celebrate the occasion. Bless his cotton socks.

Saturday we slept in; a total indulgence. I met with a girlfriend for a coffee and a catch up in a funky little café off Balham High Street, Bertie and Boo, with brightly painted walls and old school desks for tables (see pic above). Then I set off for the gym, burnt a whopping 700 calories doing 50 minutes interval training on the cross-trainer (my new favourite past time) and headed back over to the boyfriend’s to watch DVDs and devour a pack of Minstrels – it’s all about balance!

On Sunday we once again ditched the alarm in favour of being woken by sunlight, I gymed-it again (this time peddling out a mere 300 cals on the bike… so not wasting my time on that piece of machinery again) and ventured up north to a friend’s place for a much anticipated Sunday Roast. Four couples, lots of wine, amazing pate and cheeses from Islington’s to-die-for delicatessen, Ottolenghi, and girlfriend’s roast chicken with rosemary, baked sweet potato and walnuts and her rocket, parmesan, avocado and pine nut salad… We were fat and happy little ducks come home time.

Seriously, as weekends go, aren’t you jealous?

Ottolenghi

287 Upper Street, Islington, London N1 2TZ

Tel: 020 7288 1454

1 comment:

Jules said...

My friend who used to live in Islington raves about this place. Sounds like a gorgeous weekend, the roast sounds sooo good (and yay for the haircut!).