Tuesday 8 April 2008

Wishing for White lies

I like to think of myself as an honest person. Apparently, I'm too honest. How so, you ask?

For our recent rental application (yep, that gorgeous little Balham flat I spoke of two weeks ago)I was asked to fill out my financial details. After a quick phone call to boyfriend we both agreed that it was best for me to tell the truth - a sign of good faith, if you will.

So I neatly penned my response -

Employer: Harper's BAZAAR*
Job title: Features Intern
Yearly income: £5,200
* as the HR at Natmags don't actually know I exist, cheers!

A few lines down the form requested information about any supplement income. I wrote -

Nannying: £10,400 p.a. (£200 p.w.)

This grandiose total gets me to £15,600 - and if I'm brutally honest even this sum has been exaggerated. As it turns out the estate agent only requested my managing editor sign and fax over confirmation of my pay details at BAZAAR so I could just as easily have put my wage as a 'reasonable' £18,000 p.a. - I had worried she may request bank statements. She did however call me last Friday to ask for the contact details of my nannying family.

Once again, I had the perfect opportunity to give the name and number of a friend, Mr or Mrs X, who would attest to my kind nature and to the fact that I 'regularly' babysit for them three nights a week at a rate of £200 per week. But no, I gave her the details of the mother of one of my families who was currently overseas. Upon hanging up I frantically texted said mother, trying to make light of my situation... and praying for a sympathetic reply.

This afternoon, having not yet heard back, I called and left a ever so convoluted voice message apologising for putting her in the situation and stressing how incredibly thankful I'd be if she could help me out. A half hour later she texted to say that it was 'fine' for them to call her once she and the family returned to London. I hate text messages, they're tone is so open to interpretation...

I'm going to try and stay positive and believe that my good intentions will be rewarded with signed confirmation from our agent that we can move in as planned come 24 May... And that my babysitting mother is indeed more than happy to go 'on the record'.

Because I truly believe that I'm a good person. And by golly I know I deserve a break!

1 comment:

Jules said...

I'm sure it will turn out well! We are moving into our new place in 2 weeks (Hammersmith) and had to sell a kidney to nab it, and yes the process is quite stressful...