Thursday 1 May 2008

Dedication to Daisy

When times are tough you turn to your friends. They’re the ones who support you, who tell you that you’re fabulous when you need to hear it and tell you to shut up when you’re whining is getting you nowhere!

Living overseas is a true test of friendship and in my experience I’ve found it has both made and broken ties with some friends I’ve had for years and even new ones gained along the way. Email is fantastic. £5 calling cards that give more than 2000 minutes phone time to landlines are the bomb! Friends who surprise you with midday chats just because they miss you… they’re the best.

Now I’m not implying that I think less of the friends who don’t call - and to be honest I often prefer being the one to dial… at least then I know I’m available to chat given the hideous time difference between Sydney, New York and London – and I often think relationships fed via Facebook and email can be just as rewarding and in-depth, but thanks should be given to those who take that extra time to call o/s, today’s thanks go to Daisy.

For those that know Miss D – cue laugh.

And while more often than not her phone calls come just as I’m in the middle of writing copy, transcribing for my editor or completing some other VIP intern task seeing her caller-ID always makes me smile. Then her stories make me laugh.

We’ll squeal, share the dirty laundry that’s piled up since our last conversation and make grand plans to catch up in some odd location or another. Last June we enjoyed a dalliance in Miami – three days worth of vodka chambulls beachside/poolside and even a short stint at an R&B club – now we’re working out the nitty-gritty of hiding me in her suitcase on her work trip from Paris to Venice.

So thank you Daisy… for making the 16997 kilometres between London and Sydney seem not very far at all…

No comments: