Wednesday 16 January 2008

A desk of my own

The funny thing about being an intern is that while the work we do is real (read: necessary and required) our position is temporary. We work full-time hours for a pittance of pay and yet at the end of our 'term' unless a permanent staffy leaves it's, "Thanks for the memories, and best of luck." Given this, it's important we get daily reminders about how fabulous we are.

Be these in the form of lunch invites, freebies from the beauty cupboard or even press trips, they reaffirm in our mind the reasons we're there and help to highlight the elusive 'greater good.'

Today I got my own desk.

Yes, for the past four months I have lived the life of an office nomad and jumped around from corner to cubicle, where ever on that particular day a permanent person was sick or out of the office, or both. Finally today I was given a little bit of territory, about 3-square feet of it, but it's all mine. At least, that is, until I'm replaced by the next intern.

Along with this office space comes a computer of my own and a phone line - yes, I even have my own extension, c'est magnifique! I remember experiencing a similar high last September when I received my Natmags e-mail address... ahhh, the memories. However, with the fashion intern leaving on Monday for her forth trip overseas - in as many months - for an 'on location' shoot (she's managed South Africa, LA, St Lucia and Marrakech), I'm starting to think that I chose the wrong internship. If only I knew how to style a shoot.


No comments: