Tuesday 22 January 2008

Polish me pretty

Is it just me, or does nail varnish chip off no matter how 'strong' or 'long-lasting' it's advertised to be? I file, buff and polish, and even wait a few minutes in between each layer-application to ensure the varnish dries properly. But without a doubt, in less than twelve hours the corners will peel and the tips of my nails will start to resemble the crumbling walls of Roman ruins.

Except on my tootsies. For some reason (and I believe this is a universal truth) pedi-polish can last a few weeks before it starts to lose its shimmer and shine. So why is it different for your fingers? I began to wonder, is it me, or is it the brand of varnish?

Like any good researcher, I went to ask the experts: the girls in the beauty department! The general consensus was that most people struggle to keep their fingernails polished-pretty, but a suggestion was made that people whose nails are weaker and have a tendency to crack or tear will often find their nail polish will do the same. While some varnishes are designed to strengthen nails, essentially they only do so by acting as a protective layer atop the nail. Cuticle creams and other strengthening oils may or may not solve the problem. Good to know.

As for some brands being better than others... well, much hype has surrounded O.P.I. over the last couple of years thanks to the likes of celeb fans like Mischa Barton and Nicole Richie, but generally, there's much of a muchness between them. And if nail protection isn't guaranteed, why do we bother coating at all?

Adding colour to nails apparently goes as far back as 3000 B.C. among Asian, Egyptian and Roman cultures. The Chinese first created a coloured lacquer by mixing gum arabic, egg whites, gelatin and beeswax, and in 600 B.C. under the Chou Dynasty, royalty would often use gold and silver to enhance their nails. But the vibrant colours seen today are actually thanks to the motoring industry - when the paint on automobiles inspired the creation of coloured nail enamels. The invention of the modern nail polish is credited to Michelle Ménard in the 1920s, however, I have yet to discover exactly who this lovely lady was (Google fails me, and I haven't time to make a trip to the library). I like to think she was a French courtesan with a penchant for red lipstick and fishnet stockings.

But there is hope for the hopeless. According to O.P.I. regular manicures -using cuticle oils - will replenish essential moisture and lipids (fat-soluble molecules) and will enhance your nail's health and appearance. So hopefully your colour will last a little bit longer, and you can feel a little bit more of a lady. I'm tackling Hilary Duff's fave next, O.P.I's Black Onyx, it's winter chic after all.



No comments: