Wednesday 30 April 2008

Honing hubris

Job searching in the rain really sucks. But given that I handed in my resignation to Bazaar on Monday I’m left with very few options.

I’ve bitten the bullet and am preparing to take the bull by its horns… if there were another hideous cliché that I could think of believe me, I’d write that down too. Why the hostility? Because I just returned from yet another interview where the interviewer asked the motivation behind my planned move into the PA world; and I couldn’t lie.

If only I could respond to this totally expected and not out of the ordinary question – posed by every single employer in any industry since employment began – with a doe-eyed smile and protestations of my love for organising, regaling my childhood dream to one day answer someone else’s phone, open someone else’s mail, arrange someone else’s holidays and hotel stays and make tea and coffee for some one else. If only I could say all those things with a straight face… I’d be fine.

But the girl in me who sat through five years of a Comm/Law degree and who has spent the past twelve months working her butt off to break into the magazine industry just refuses to propitiate their request. So as it stands, from next Monday I will be officially unemployed.

Unofficially I’m going freelance. So in between office temp roles and job interviews I’ll be madly pitching to mags here in the UK and back in Aus.*

Wish me luck!


*Any commissions (obviously) would be gladly received

No comments: