Wednesday 6 February 2008

Common Goals

The time has come for me to nest. Yes, boyfriend and I are making the move into a shared abode - Londonstyle.

You see we did share a rather funky, brightly coloured East Village pad in NYC before we decided a six-month sojourn from combined living was in order. But after going our separate ways and then finding ourselves back in Clapham Common one day, hot chocolates in hand, we sung "Que sera, sera" and bit the chocolate bullet. Now we're back on gumtree.co.uk and on the click for a one-bedder in Clapham, near the Common and with a garden. For less than £200 per week.

Surprisingly this isn't such a stretch. It's just whether we'll still be starry-eyed come Saturday evening after viewing the dozen or so apartments I've lined up. It's risky.

But I can't help but think that one hideous day of flat-hunting, missioning through the streets of South West London, in-and-out of one over-advertised, upsold apartment after another, will be less traumatic than having to rush from work to viewings mid-week. And Sunday, well on Sunday I'm finding someone to fill my room (might not advertise my neighbour's dabbling in all substances illicit), so this leaves just Saturday... He'll thank me when we find our dream home. And one day, who knows, maybe we'll actually have the money to buy one!

2 comments:

Ondo Lady said...

Yes London is a bitch when it comes to property hunting. You need a trust fund or to be on six figures to be able to get something decent. Even then you need to be super fast. I am glad I got out of the rat race. Happy nest hunting!! :)

the assistant said...

cheers - will obviously blog about the low and (hopefully) high points as they arise...

and thanks for being a loyal reader of my posts too!