Thursday 21 February 2008

Unplugged

I have long proclaimed that my laptop is an extension of me being, rather like a fifth limb. Thus it would transpire that the Internet is my lifeline, my umbilical cord to the World Wide Web… without it, I am nothing.

I type, therefore I am.

At midday today the plug was pulled and the cord cut on our office access to my beloved Net. Like any self-respecting (hardworking) employee I called IT. Apparently I wasn’t the first. They told me that they were on the case and asked if I could kindly spread the word i.e. get the rest of my crew to stop jamming the phone lines with their calls of complaint. I complied. My co-workers’ glances ranged from aggravation to smug elation (the latter I’m assuming relishing the forced down-time).

But I felt lost. In the middle of sending out an issue to a media rep I couldn’t even log-in to their webpage to confirm the delivery address; with LexisNexis down my background search on the celeb-subject of our May feature was abruptly stopped and even taking the time to send out a few personal emails was out of the question. What to do?

Offer to make people in the office a cup of tea? I’d already sorted the mail… So, I twiddled my thumbs, took a few deep breaths and decided to embrace the land in which I live, MAGland. I flicked through the array of glossies on offer…

Thank God for Grazia in a workaholic’s time of need!

1 comment:

Ondo Lady said...

You are not alone, I live online and I cannot imagine live before my laptop and nor do I wish to.