Thursday 14 February 2008

Holiday hang-ups

V-Day: A day for chocolate and candy and cuddles; for lovers and daters alike. It’s also a day for singles to moan about the monopoly held by corporations like Hallmark and Cadburys. And while I agree that retail execs go wild about these ‘holidays’ for their financial benefits alone, I like to think that if you’re in a happy and healthy relationship anyway then today is simply an extra day to take special care to spend quality time with each other. Maybe say a few more, "I love yous".

But OH how some people are moaning…

It’s likely the energy they expel over how not into Valentine’s Day they are would burn off the calories in the colourfully-wrapped chocolate heart that they’re bickering about. I say, “Just eat the chocolate.”

Admittedly I won’t be reserving a table at any of London’s top-notch restaurants anyway. Mostly to avoid the crowds that tend to swarm on days like these but more truthfully because I like to split the bill and even half the cheque at The Wolseley would leave me void of cash for the next two weeks.

Instead I will partake in a bottle of champagne (a gift from a press lunch a while back), steal a kiss from my beau and eat chocolate, lots of dark chocolate.

No comments: