Wednesday 13 February 2008

Let the sun shine in!

It’s amusing in London when the sun’s out, everyone rushes outdoors. If this happened in Australia you’d be hard pressed to keep employees’ bums on seats for a good nine months out of twelve. It’s lunchtime and our office is practically empty; all I can hear is the hum of the photocopier machines.

Because… The sky is bright blue and crystal clear and the sun – albeit a little low in the sky – is shining. According to Google weather the temperature is 13°C, practically scorching.

At times like this I realise how accustomed I have become to the Northern chill. A New York winter, closely followed by a seriously undesirable rainy English summer and now I’m into my third month of temperatures averaging 10°C… But I love it.

Seriously.

When I went back home over Christmas I was one of the whinging poms complaining of heatstroke. I detest feeling sweaty and (as I’ve mentioned before) I like a good walk, so getting from A to Z when the sun is blazing means that I arrive at my destination glowing to the point of perspiration. Not especially attractive at the best of times.

So while I look out the window with a twinkle in my eye, day dreaming that a warm European summer might really be around the corner, I do so with caution. Warm enough to wear cotton-Ts and tailored shorts please Mr Weatherman, but not so warm that I have to reapply melted makeup in between appointments.

No comments: