Friday 20 July 2007

Love Your Bits

Thought I'd give myself a little pep-talk this Friday morning. Feel free to read along... the more the merrier when it comes to feeling good about oneself.

Reading an old issue of UK Glamour, as I tried to lull myself to sleep last night, I came across the most inspiring page. I thought it best to copy it out for you (mostly because it's Friday and my unemployed-self is bored by my own thoughts...); then I'll say something profound... I promise!


Hey, it's OK...

...to firmly believe that if you share it, it has no calories
...to try out a few 'sexy' poses on the bed before he walks into the room
...if you don't tell anyone that the flowers on your desk are actually from your mother
...to be utterly transfixed by the sight of a Hollywood actress's stubbly armpit
...not to argue when someone offers to pay the bill
...if you run out of good advice. Most of the time people simply want you to listen, anyway
...to refuse to tell how much you paid for it. Nicely, of course
... to brazenly smile your way through a cold sore, adult orthodontics or a not-terribly-well-concealed spot. You're bigger than a fleeting imperfection; act like it!
courtesy of UK Glamour magazine, June 2007

Now who hasn't almost been caught practicing Sharon Stone renditions in the boudoir? And just last week I butchered my forehead over a tiny pimple and was forced to cake my face with my ever-trusty MaxFactor concealer - I mean I felt better, but the mirror reflected the contrasted reality.

While the majority of magazines still serve to make us mere mortals shudder at our imperfections, reality television offers us the chance for high-fives. Wednesday nights on Channel 4, Gok Wan, a former student of London's prestigious Central School of Speech and Drama, shows real women, How to Look Good Naked. What I love about this show is there's no focus on the woman spending hours in the gym, being given a personal chef or any of the similar nice-but-not-for-the-real-world options that shows like, Biggest Loser or What Not to Wear, have offered us in the past. Here, Gok shows these larger-sized women (most of the shows contestants range between a size 14-18, with the UK average recently being announced as size 16), which bra to wear to best show off their 'knockers,' along with the benefits of tummy-hold knickers and clothes styles to suit their shape.

Last week's subject, 29 year old, Liz Marlow, went from an introverted working mother-of-two, who practically lived in fleece jumpers and hadn't undressed in front of her husband in more than two years, to a woman courageous enough to shimmy her way down a catwalk wearing nothing but some lacy-lingerie - alongside skinny models, to boot!

I loved it. I loved Gok (oh, please let me be his fag-hag!) - and best of all, I went to bed feeling sexy! Curves and all.

No comments: