Tuesday 24 July 2007

Shopaholic's S.O.S.

I have a sneaky little habit. A habit that has gotten me into a fair bit of trouble in the last few years. No, I don't smoke and I'm no slave to narcotics... my addiction lies in the Cyber realm... That's right, when it comes to online stores, I'm a downright junkie.

It started with e-Bay, Oh, about 5 years ago. I was at my cousin's birthday drinks, (at Opera Bar in Sydney's Circular Quay... how I miss that harbour!), anyway, his girlfriend at the time began telling me about the great new pair of Sass & Bide jeans she had recently purchased for a fraction of their retail cost, from an online store, called.... e-Bay. I questioned how she was sure the jeans weren't fake? How did she know her size? How was she certain that once she had bid, she would be given the goods? Question after question, she answered with a smile, and I knew then I just had to log-on. And so it began, my love affair with 'the Bay.' My new shopping mecca.
Since then I have enforced two self-imposed bans from the site that supplied me with countless pairs of shoes and boots, some t-shirts, designer jeans and oh yes, I even 'won' concert tickets! The bans became necessary at times when I realised that my purchase were quickly becoming too many to count and when I began to suffer night sweats because I wasn't online... the fear of being out-bid too much to handle. Each ban lasted a good few months. I created my own little e-Bay rehab... lots of Chamomile tea, no Net action after dinner, and definitely no signing on to online shopping sites during work hours.

Moving to New York proved a trying time... working night shifts, and not knowing many people meant that I would often while away hours at home in my little flat, window-surfing the pages purporting to offer the latest Chloe handbag, Balenciaga's new tote, Marc by Marc Jacob's new spring line... ever so quickly I found myself eagerly awaiting the DHL delivery man. When he started to call me by name and asking about my family I knew another rehab session was required.

And so, I signed-off. I even forgot my PayPal account details (shudder at the thought!)... until I met with the same girlfriend of years past. While visiting New York from her new home in London, Miss Thing, started raving
about the new online shopping craze that had hit the UK... a groovy little site that sells re-hashed designer goods. Their claim,'celebrity inspired fashion at affordable prices.' Seen on Lindsay Lohan one day, online the next.
Intern, meet As Seen On Screen (or ASOS.com).

Never has there been a more exciting way to spend hours on your laptop. Just scroll through their latest range of summer dresses, both designer and High Street, and click your way across pages of beauty products and other accessories... I defy you to not giggle in your elated state. The best bit is there's no bidding. You want it, you bought it! They even ship overseas, no problems.

Now this blog was never meant to be an advertising space... although, I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't give you that URL just one more time - ASOS.com... with this disclaimer - the Intern is not responsible for any ASOS-addictions that may result!

Featured pics:
Miss Sixty Button Front Tweed Dress, £85 at ASOS.com
Dahlia Patchwork Print Smock, £50 at ASOS.com

1 comment:

southern+midwestern cross said...

Love it! You crack me up... time for rehab again Miss Spears/Lohan/Intern.