Monday 30 July 2007

Suitably Cased

Okay, so not that I'm bragging, but... on Wednesday I'm jet-setting to Paris, for two whole weeks! I will, of course, divulge every croissant-crumb of information in my daily posts, although for now... it's all about the packing.

I'd like to think I sort a good suitcase, but the reality is that sometimes it's hit and miss. Last year's flight from Sydney to the States saw my bag number explode from two to four in the time it took me to get from the car park to the check-in desk! Shall I explain? You see the airports, they have these silly rules about baggage weight - something about occupational health and safety -and my bags, whilst I still argue, were not full to capacity, were over the limit. So Mum came to the rescue with two plastic travel cases for me to offload items into - and then there were four.

However, for my two weeks in Peru earlier this year, I managed to fit all I needed into one carry-on sized bag. The customs men at JFK were speechless!

When it comes to packing, I'm definitely no diva. However, the same cannot be said for Miss Mariah Carey (surprised much?) who has been known to take two, sometimes three, whole suitcases just for her shoes! So, low and behold, reading my fave 50p (cheap, cheap!) High Street Style Bible, Dare, I have come across a new celebrity-necessity, the celebrity 'packer.' Yuh, huh! Yuh read right. LA-based Jessica Paster has turned her packing know-how in a roaring trade. Paster's packed for Mariah and other celebs (including Kate Beckinsale, Thandie Newton and Brittany Murphy), for years, saying, 'It's a very intimate business and it's not unusual for me to go on holiday with my clients.' In Mariah's case, Paster makes sure the diva has the appropriate 'walk-out outfit' in her hand luggage for the ever-important paparazzi pics after a long flight, and even goes as far as to wake Mariah before landing to accompany her into the toilets to change and re-apply her make-up. For a three-day break, Mariah will take nothing less than 10 cases. And here was I made to feel bad about four!
So what exactly are Paster's suitcase secrets?
  • Pack five outfits that can be dressed up or down
  • Use a tick-box packing list to ensure you don't forget anything
  • Always fold, never roll (rolling adds bulk, whereas folding you have more space)
  • Don't go for expensive luggage as it's more likely to be stolen (guess I'll leave Louis at home then!)
  • Pack toiletries in zip-lock plastic bags to avoid spills and make things easier to find

Finally, according to Paster, summer holiday essentials include a sarong (to double as a skirt, wrap or towel), a kaftan (to wear to the beach or with a belt for the evening) and a pashmina (to wear at night or to sit on during the day).

Lets all say, "Thanks, Ms. Paster"... And the best thing is, her advice only cost me 50p... wonder what Mariah pays?!

No comments: