Tuesday 31 July 2007

My Home Among the Gumtrees...

After almost six weeks in London, I have finally settled on an abode. May I start by saying 'thank you,' to my friends that put me up over these past weeks... 'Cheers, guys!'

What I love about London is that when you arrive you know you'll at least find a bed/floor space somewhere, somehow, and soon. I've coined it the Heathrow-Handover... because once you pass those gates, it's like Australia hands you over to the first Aussie you meet. Here, if a friend-of-a-friend, or your Uncle's cousin's dog-walker lives in London, you don't question yourself when asking them for a place to rest your weary head. You may never have met them, you might not even like your Uncle's cousin (or your Uncle!), but you're in London, and you're Aussie, and it's well... just watcha do!

But when you're wanting a more permanent residence, it's time to head for the gumtrees (or gumtree.com). This is a fabo site where Aussies, Saffas, Kiwis and even some Poms, advertise their rooms, flats, houses or their wears to sell, or jobs to offer. You name it, and you can find it on gumtree.com. The shame of it is, that everyone else in London knows about Gumtree too. Over the past few weeks my computer may as well have been a fifth limb the way my eyes have been glued to its screen and my fingers adhered to its keyboard. But this seemingly obsessive behaviour is necessary if you want to nab the best roost. Ads are posted daily, and you need to be quick to reply, and even quicker to the viewings. Once you're there, it's everyman for him/herself. Tonight, I practically got down on my hands and knees and begged for my room. Why wouldn't I? It was a great location, it was in a house, and the other flatmates seemed friendly (and dare I say, normal?). You see for every room there is a psycho, and for every flat there is a slob - find a place with no psycho and no slob, you're cheering! An ad posted this morning even specified: 'drongos need not apply'.... love it!

So when I return from the City of Lights, (sigh).... I will be taking the keys to my new Clapham Pad and beginning the next stage in My London Life. For the next two weeks though, this little blogger's going to be all about Paris... c'est la vie!

2 comments:

southern+midwestern cross said...

Carls,
If it turns out to be a den of drongo iniquity, let me know. I may have a hook up for you.. also in Clapham.
Big love,
>Christiano!

Ondo Lady said...

Gumtree rocks, I have used it a few times myself and been very happy with the results. Thumbs up!!