Tuesday 17 July 2007

My Bright Glossy Day

Some days are just meant to be golden... but today positively sparkled. London's summer sun decided to shine through despite all indications to the contrary during early morning showers; and the normally icey wind, served only to better chase away the clouds. Is this how everyone viewed today? Or are my stardust-hazed eyes pleasantly deceiving me?


As a newby to Londontown I had resigned myself to the fact that I would be working mind-numbing temp jobs in order to finance my sojourns in Europe. I'd try, of course, to secure some freelance writing gigs, but really, I wasn't in any rush (and to be honest, I didn't fancy my chances). After spending five days on reception last week at a large publishing house, and having contemplated smashing my head against the computer screen at each day's end, I began to feel despondent. When Monday passed with no call from my recruitment company, I started to develop a slight fever, recalling my weekend purchases at Portobello Road markets. But then it happened. I signed into my hotmail account and a wonderful surprise awaited me. Finally, I had been commissioned to write a piece for a magazine - a real one - all nice and glossy! And, better than that, they were even going to pay me. One hurrah after the other, I attended an interview with a different recruitment company - one I had honestly considered cancelling - to be informed that two of their clients were the UK's most notable magazine publishing companies... Conde Nast, think the ever-stylish Vogue magazine, and Natmags, lets all cheer for Cosmopolitan (can we hear my "Woo hoo!"?).



So here I sit, promises of a temping assignment tomorrow that pays more than £8 an hour (on pay that low I'd be forced to live on tinned soup and rice cakes), and I have a writing assignment. Going to keep the "deets" to myself at this stage, but rest assured friends, my name will once again be in print!

No comments: