Monday 29 October 2007

Tête-à-Tate Britain

Grey skies, falling temperatures and intermittent rainfall might get some Londoners down, but not me. With an extra hour in the day (bye-bye English Summertime) I braved the cold and met with two friends at Pimlico tube, for an afternoon of the Turner Retrospective at Tate Britain. If I am honest, art has never really been my thing. Modern art, even less so… I find a lot of works are over-analysed and their artists are often self-indulgent souls, who sadly, have bought into their own hype and think every blotch of paint they splash across a canvas somehow conveys all the meaning and depth of a literary classic – unfortunately, I just see paint.

But, as my friends were the same ones to join me at London Fashion Weekend, and as GF’s hubby dutifully joined us at that event – without sarcasm or snivelling – I thought we owed it to him to venture into the majestic old gallery, and wonder at the dissected cows…

Millbank, London SW1P 4RG

The Turner Prize was first awarded in 1984, and has been the subject of much debate in the two decades that have followed. Open only to British artists, the prize aims to draw greater public attention to contemporary art. This exhibition provides a unique opportunity of celebrating the winners and also to reflect upon the progress of modern art in Britain’s recent history.

Note to reader: If you’re in London before 6 January, 2008, definitely stop by the Tate Britain. And if you’re hungry, around the corner, The White Swan serves up a mean Steak and Guinness Pie, but steer clear of the wedges… £2.99 only gets you six slivers of potato and a teaspoon of sour cream.


14 Vauxhall Bridge Rd, London SW1V 2SA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha...I feel the same exact way about modern art.