Wednesday 26 March 2008

Friends in far places

I’m not usually one for impromptu social gatherings. Sounds terribly tragic, I know, but I’m the kinda gal who likes to put appointments in her diary (lots of appointments) and then gets excited when an evening is free.

But yesterday my girlfriend emailed me a same-day-dinner invitation I just couldn’t refuse. Not simply because she’s an amazing cook – she prepared steamed trout with fresh ginger and shallots served with a sweet chilli and soy bok choy and broccoli medley – but more importantly because the two of us haven’t had good one-on-one time in more than a month. Crazy, given that we work in the same office; crazier because we are each other’s biggest fans and play dates tend to involve us telling each other how fab we both are… which we both thoroughly enjoy.

The main reason for our delayed catch-ups: Geography. With her in north-east London and me in the south-west the travel time is a pain. While the Victoria line is one of the most direct tube lines, it’s also undergoing engineering works and shuts at 10pm most weeknights. So dinner was slightly rushed – which wasn’t too much of a problem as both she and I talk at a million miles an hour when we’re together – but entirely delightful. I even indulged in a few glasses of Oyster Bay sauvignon blanc… reminiscent of summer days back in Oz.

Call me sentimental but I think it’s important to have a few good friends from your country of origin when you’re on the other side of the world, be they old or new. I’m not downplaying the need to befriend the locals but when times are tough it’s nice to share a nice ol’ moan with someone who’s in the same position. In the past six months I’ve done my best to create my London Family… so I’d like to take this moment to thank them all (they know who they are) and tell them how much they rock.

Cheers, fellas!

1 comment:

Jules said...

Oyster Bay sauv blanc is a lovely drop *sigh*