Friday 14 March 2008

A spoonful of hypnosis

Last night I went under the influence.

I dodged the rain as I ran from St Paul’s station to Fleet Street (swapping heals for flats halfway) and trudged up the five flights of stairs to the office of Keith Chopping (MNCH Acc), qualified hypnotherapist. There to be reprogrammed, I took my place in ‘the chair’.

This all began about a month ago when I saw journalist, Anna Richardson undergo hypnotherapy for weight loss on my current fave series, Supersize vs Superskinny. Using the power of the mind – with the desire already in her psyche – Richardson was able to change the way she viewed food, one carb-packed meal at a time.

Whether you have a penchant for sweets, baked goods or take-away, hypnotherapy allows you to ‘get the message’ to the deepest parts of your brain, so that good intentions can win over temporary indiscretions. So basically, if you want to make a change, you will.

With my own history of over-eating, binge eating, crash diets and calorie counting I became excited at the notion of reprogramming my brain when it came to my thinking on food in general. Not being able to go a meal without either congratulating or chastising myself I felt a desperate urge to cleanse my mind (along with my body).

Chopping first sat me down to discuss my goals and my feelings towards my body and food, as well as how I tend to visualise dreams and aspirations. He then began the process of putting me under, through breathing and listening techniques, and most importantly the sound of his voice.

After one session – Chopping proposes no more than two forty-minute meetings – I can honestly say that I feel different… Not quite sure how to explain it, but bad food just doesn’t seem to be on my radar like it was yesterday.

My first big test came just after our meeting when I had to rush to a babysitting job. While I normally relish the opportunity to raid the cupboards once the kids are in bed, last night I felt oddly content watching television and sipping on tea.

With a flick of my wrist I served my morning portion of bran and thought, “That’s enough.” It was only when I took the bowl to the table that I noticed I’d rationed myself about half what I usually dished out. Later in the morning I attended a press event – the major draw card being a champagne breakfast and a selection of cupcakes – and instead of my eyes honing in on the food, when asked I requested only a glass of water. Why? Because I only felt like a glass of water.

Who knows if this will last – I think it might – but what I do like about hypnosis is how I’m in charge of it. There are no pills and nothing that I’ve specifically told myself that I’m not allowed. I simply feel full sooner and seem to take more time to eat the food in front of me. And good food just tastes better. Happily, bon appetite!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Oh. My. God. This sounds amazing!

Please, please update this once in a while and report back on how you're really going. I'd be very interested in something like this, I just haven't been able to say no to overindulging lately, and while I never want to give up my love of good food and wine, I like the idea of being able to say no more and just be in control. Bravo!

Keith Chopping said...

Thanks for your comments. Hope it's all still working for you . My website is http://www.hypnosis-london.co.uk if anyone wants to find out more.