Wednesday 19 March 2008

Trigger Fingers

It very rarely happens that I hit the 'send' button prematurely - OCD sufferer that I am - but it happened today... And it's a big oops!

Ever on the prowl for 'gainful employment' I've been eagerly sending off my CV and clips in response to entry-level editorial vacancies as well as to the HRs of publishing houses here in London. Handling work experience forms in my current role I'm all too aware of the dos and don'ts of applying for positions: DO spell your addressee's name correctly, DON'T send generic cover letters etc - so it's with a heavy heart that I admit today I sent on an email to the HR of one company containing all the reasons why I'd be 'perfect' for a role at an entirely unrelated magazine! Crap.

When you're up for your writing and editing skills such a boo-boo is a total deal breaker. So what to do? Is it better to hope that the lady in question ignores the second line in my email and holds my info on file anyway, or should I bite the bullet, phone her up and with my vibrant-charm help her see the lighter side of my illustrious f**k-up? At this stage I'm taking the former option and going to ride this wave with my tail between my legs.

So it's back to the drawing board. Back to Gorkana.com (the daily online bulletin for PR and media in the UK) and scrolling the recruitment pages, both online and print... And hoping that a position somewhere opens up. Fingers and toes tightly crossed.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I did that too with an Ideal Job a few weeks ago, almost-OCDer that I am too. Sent the wrong CV (have so many CVs tailored for different jobs in My Documents) and had to quickly resend the right one. Hope you have better luck than I did!